Press Release – New Zealander of the year
The New Zealander of the Year Awards office is pleased to provide the following nominations update for the 2016 New Zealander of the Year Awards.2016 New Zealander of the Year Awards Update
The New Zealander of the Year Awards office is pleased to provide the following nominations update for the 2016 New Zealander of the Year Awards.
• 94 nominations received for the New Zealander of the Year Award. The nominations made are for excellence in arts, community service, public service, business, education, entertainment, science, technology, health and cultural development.
• Journalist and television personality John Campbell has received almost 50 nominations.
• Other top nominated New Zealanders for 2016 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year include:
o Professor Jane Kelsey – Auckland University
o Nicky Hager – Author and Investigative Journalist
o Helen Kelly – President of the New Zealand Council of Trade Unions
o Kelly Dugan – Founder of SmileDialNZ
o Louise Nicholas ONZM – Victims’ Advocate
o Tim Finn OBE – Musician
After nominations close on 30 September 2015, a judging panel – comprising representatives of awards patrons, presenters, sponsors, community leaders and independent experts – will evaluate the nominations. The shortlist of 10 candidates to be considered for the New Zealander of the Year Award will be announced in December.
Comment from Glyn Taylor, Manager – New Zealander of the Year Awards Office
The New Zealander of the Year title recognises an individual, who, through his or her achievements, has made an outstanding contribution to the well-being of the nation.
We’ve received nominations for a number of other New Zealanders who have performed with distinction across a broad range of fields. We expect many more nominations but it’s especially important that New Zealanders keep nominating people for 2016 New Zealander of the Year and supporting categories. Without a nomination from a member of the public, the judging panel won’t be able to consider that person and the chance to recognise their good deeds will be lost.
Nominations are also being sought for exceptional New Zealanders in the following categories:
• University of Auckland Young New Zealander of the Year (15-30 years)
• Metlifecare Senior New Zealander of the Year (60 years and over)
• Kiwibank New Zealand Local Hero of the Year
• Sanitarium New Zealand Innovator of the Year
• Mitre10 New Zealand Community of the Year